DNA Genetic Testing
True personalized medicine is predictive, precise, preventive and participatory. Genetic testing and nutrigenomics are the future of individualized healthcare. The impact of diet, lifestyle, exercise and environment on an individual's genetic makeup influences how the genes function and subsequently results in outcomes related to health or disease.
Genes are made up of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) providing two copies of each gene, one inherited from each parent. DNA consists of nucleotides, 99% of which are identical between individuals, but the remaining 1% contain small variations known as SNPs (singl nucleotide polymorphisms). These genetic variations or SNPs can have profound effects on how genes function and in turn affect the biological pathway in which the gene is active. Metabolic areas requiring intervention and support can then be identified to enhance a state of health. This is a powerful advantage in assembling a naturopathic protocol that is truly customized to the individual.